Week Eleven: Fragments of a Hologram Rose and The Ghost in the Shell







The topic for this week's reading was cyberpunk and steampunk. I am a big fan of cyberpunk and steampunk, so I am pretty excited about this week's topic. I read the Fragments of a Hologram and watched the movie the Ghost in the Shell(1995).

The Fragments of a Hologram tells the story of a jilted ex-lover who relies on artificial sense-recordings to sleep, in a dark, polluted city. I feel so-so to the story, it is very short, I hope the author could develop more on this story.

The better (or interesting) way to enjoy cyberpunk that I think is to watch a movie, so I rewatched the Ghost in the Shell (1995). The story is based on a policewoman Motoko Kusanagi who was transformed to a robot body by scientists. She serves at investigation department and was trying to find her memories.

What I found interesting was both of the stories involved some Asian elements. Such as the American subsidiary of a Japanese plastic combine where Parker indentured when he was fifteen, and every scenes are from HongKong in the Ghost of the Shell. I don't know is it counted as a kind of stereotype that when people are creating movies or stories about cyberpunk, we really like to put some Asian elements in. I personally like it, it brings people a sense of new.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Twelve: Bloodchild

Week Fourteen: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Week Eight: Anansi Boys